75g grated cheese
175g red lentils
1 leek, sliced
1 onion, chopped finely
500ml boiling water
vegetable stock cube
2 tomatoes, chopped finely
1tsp mixed herbs
4 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200C or Gas Mark 6.
- Chop the potatoes into chunks and place in a pan. Fill pan with boiling water and boil for ~20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter and cheese.
- Melt 50g butter in a pan (with a lid) on a low/medium heat and then add the leeks and onion. Stir for ~10 minutes or until soft.
- Mix the stock cube with the boiling water to create a vegetable stock.
- Add the lentils to the pan and coat with the melted butter before adding the stock. Place the lid on the pan and bring to the boil, lower the heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid has all been absorbed or evaporated.
- Mix the chopped tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice into the lentil stew.
- Place the lentil mix into the bottom of a large casserole dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.