Friday 11 March 2016

Rhubarb Krummel Kucken


Krummel Kucken is a German recipe, which my mum & grandma frequently made for dessert and I always remember it being particularly yummy. I thought I might find the recipe online but they were all rather complicated, so in the end I searched out my grandma's old recipe book and found it - a much simpler recipe, so here goes...

Ingredients:
250g butter
500g self raising flour
200g sugar
400g rhubarb
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg, beaten


Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. With your fingers, rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
  3. Add sugar & mix in well.
  4. Add the beaten egg and vanilla essence and mix in well - but don't press together too much - it should resemble crumble topping at this stage.
  5. Chop the rhubarb into inch long sections.
  6. Place just over half of the crumble mix into the bottom of a large baking tray (I used my grill pan) and compact into the bottom of the tin.
  7. On top lay the rhubarb and sprinkle the rest of the crumble on top (not compressing this time).
  8. Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins or until golden brown on top.

Serve warm or cold with cream, custard or ice cream.

NB Can also make with halved apricots or plums placed skin down or berries (gooseberries are particularly tasty) or any other fruit for that matter, but the bitter/sour fruits ie rhubarb & gooseberries seem to make the nicest krummel kucken.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Translate