250g ready made puff pastry
3 large or 4 medium chicken breasts
200ml chicken stock
3 leeks, sliced
200g button mushroom, halved
2 medium carrots, chopped finely
5 tbsp flour
1 tbsp thyme
Handful of grated cheese
A little egg or milk for glazing
- Chop chicken into roughly inch squares.
- In a bowl mix together 3 tbsps of flour & the thyme.
- Coat the chicken in the flour mix.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan until hot & add the pancetta & flour coated chicken chunks. Stir continuously until the chicken chunks are beginning to brown.
- Add the leeks, carrots & mushrooms & a little more oil, continue to stir until the leeks are soft.
- Mix the chicken stock with the leftover flour from coating the chicken & then add to the pan. Allow to continue to simmer for a few minutes.
- In another pan on a low heat melt the butter and once melted remove from heat to add 2 tbsps of flour, mix to a thick paste.
- Place back on the heat & add the milk a little at a time, whilst whisking to ensure the paste is completely combined with the milk. Gradually the sauce will begin to thicken, but keep stirring until it's the desired consistency.
- Place the chicken & bacon mix into the bottom of a pie dish, sprinkle over the cheese & pour over the white sauce, gently mix together slightly & allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Roll out the pastry to the desired shape, size & thickness for your pie dish.
- With the milk or egg for glazing brush around the edge of your pie dish & the place the pastry over the filling, crimping the edges of the pastry to the pie dish edge to seal. Make a hole in the middle of the pastry with a knife.
- Glaze the pastry case with the milk or egg & place in the oven for 30-40 mins or until golden brown & bubbling.
Enjoy with some greens and boiled new potatoes.