250g readymade shop bought puff pastry (OR make your own using the recipe - Easy Puff Pastry)
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to Gas 6/200C.
- Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface, ideally into a rectangle, about <0.5cm thick & the width of 2 sausages end to end. Cut the pastry into 2 long strips the width of each sausage.
- Brush the beaten egg onto the pastry and sprinkle some of the thyme & ground black pepper over it.
- Place a sausage to the edge of the pastry and roll, cutting the pastry when you have approximately 1cm overlap of pastry around the sausage.
- Place the rolled sausage on a baking tray and make some slits with a knife in the top.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until you have used all the pastry or sausages (I found this was the perfect ratio of sausages to pastry but it depends on how thinly/thickly you roll your pastry and how fat your sausages are!).
- Place in the oven for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
Great to take on a packed lunch or for a buffet or summer picnic.