A good ol' fashioned recipe in ounces, the reason for this is my grandmother always told me it was easy to remember the quantities of the ingredients for a Victoria sponge cake recipe as it was the same number of ounces for the sugar, flour and butter and half the number of eggs.
|Victoria sponge cake|
8 oz (225g) butter
8 oz (225g) self raising flour
8 oz (225g) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to Gas 3-4 or 175C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time with a little flour and beat.
- Mix in the rest of the flour.
- Split between 2 cake tins.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for a few minutes before turning out into a cooling rack.
- Spread the jam evenly on top of one cake and place the other cake on top.
- Sprinkle with a little icing sugar.