Stockings are never large enough for little boys with big gifts, so I decided to make for them as part of their Christmas gift some sacks with their names on, so that every Christmas we can put their toys in them. Hopefully they will treasure these until they are grown men.
Afternoon Tea Apple Aubergines Autumn Bacon Banana Beach Beans Beef Berries Beverage Birthday Biscuits Black Forest BRADFORD Brazil Breakfast Brunch Butternut Squash Cabbage Cake Cards Carnation Caramel Carrots Castle Cauliflower Cheese Chemical-free Chicken Chillies Chinese Chocolate Chorizo Christians Against Poverty Christmas Chutney Cinnamon Colours Cookies Coriander Craft Cream CREATIVE CORNER Cross Stitch Crumble Cupcakes Curry Day Trip Dessert Egg Egypt ESSENCIA Essential Oil Flowers FOODY FRIDAY Friendship Vignettes Fruit Garden Germany Gift Ginger Gingerbread Green Ham Harvest Healthy Helicopter Herbs Hobbit Hobbiton Holidays Honey House Icing Isles of Scilly Italian Lakes Lavender Leaves Leek Lemon Lentils Lord of the Rings Mains Malawi Meringue Mexican Mushroom Nappy Natural Nature New Zealand Nuts Old adventures Orange Pasta Pastry Pearl Barley Peas Peppers Photos Pie Pizza Pork Potato Present Recipes Rice Roast Salad Sausages Savoury Sea Sewing Machine Side dish Slow Cooker Smoothie Snack Soup Spices Spinach Spring Stew Strawberries Summer Sweet Sweet Potato Take Away Alternative Tea Tomato Tortillas Travels Vegan Vegetables Vegetarian Vegetarian option Victoria sponge cake Wales Woodland XStitch Yorkshire Zoo
Thursday, 29 December 2016
Wednesday, 28 December 2016
One of this year's creative Christmas presents from me was handmade boxed mini iced Christmas cakes. I used my late-grandmother's recipe which I found in the process of clearing my mum's house earlier this year.
Tuesday, 20 December 2016
Friday, 9 December 2016
1 tbsp thyme
1 large parsnip
3 large carrots
3 medium potatoes
Half a swede
4 tbsps pearl barley
4 tbsps pearl barley
1 heaped tbsp plain flour
1 litre of veg stock (I used 2 veg OXO cubes)
500g puff pastry
Milk or egg to glaze
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Chop onions finely & the other veg into small chunks.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the chopped onion & thyme & fry for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, swede, celery & potato, place the lid on the pan & gently fry for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour & mix well to coat the vegetables.
- Add the pearl barley & stock, again cover the pan & simmer for 15-20 minutes until veg is softening.
- Place in an oven proof dish or pie dish.
- Roll the pastry til approx 0.5cm thick & cut to the shape of the dish.
- Brush the edges of the pie dish with milk or egg to allow the pastry to stick.
- Place the pastry on top of the dish & with a fork or your fingers press the edge of the pastry to the dish.
- Place a small hole in the centre of the pastry & brush with milk or egg to glaze.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Friday, 2 December 2016
I made this recipe using home grown leeks and carrots, it's a real winter warmer.
Ingredients:A little olive oil
500g leeks, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
400g tin of butter beans, drained
400g tin of black eyes beans, drained
500ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp of corn flour mixed in cold water
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat & add the leeks. Stir continuously for about 7/8 mins until soft.
- Add the carrots, beans, rosemary & stock and mix together.
- Bring the pan to simmer, add the corn flour/water mix & stir in well.
- Simmer for about 20 mins until it begins to thicken.
Ingredients: 5 chicken thighs 2 medium aubergines 2 onions 4 carrots 75g sultanas 75g apricots 2 chicken oxo cubes in 5...
Ingredients: 4x 400g tins of haricot beans (can also be made with any other types of tinned beans) 4 bay leaves 2 onions, finely sliced ...
If you are an avid follower of my FOODY FRIDAY blog posts you may remember me raving about Carnation Caramel? Well, I thought ...
Ingredients: 200g red lentils, 450ml vegetable stock, 1 bay leaf, 100g unsalted cashew nuts, 2 onions, finely chopped 1 red peppe...
Ingredients: 2 onions 2 carrots 3 celery stick 2 red peppers 200g dried red lentils 200g dried green lentils 3 tins chopped t...