|Chicken, Tarragon & Leek Stew|
3 leeks, chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 kg chicken
2 chicken stock cubes
2 tbsp mustard
25g fresh tarragon (or 2 tbsps dried tarragon)
2 tbsp cornflour
300ml creme fraiche
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 or 160C.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the leeks and onion until soft.
- Place the fried ingredients into the bottom of a casserole dish and place chicken on top.
- Dissolve the stock cubes in 700ml of boiling water and pour over the chicken.
- Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in the mustard, carrots and tarragon, cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour into a few tbsps of cold water to make a thick paste.
- Remove from oven and add the cornflour and creme fraiche.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with rice or roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
Alternatively the recipe can be done in a slow cooker, follow steps 2-4 but also add in the mustard, carrots and tarragon to cook for 4-5 hours. An hr before serving add the cornflour and creme fraiche.