|Sweet and Sour Chicken (with egg fried rice)|
500g chicken breasts
3 carrots, cut into sticks
2 peppers, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp dried chillies
100g mushrooms, chopped
432g tin of pineapple in juice
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp soy sauce
- Cut the chicken in 2cm cubed chunks.
- Drain the pineapple and cut into chunks, keep the juice in a jug for making the sauce though.
- Heat the oil in a wok until hot, add the chicken, chillies and onion and fry for a few mins.
- Add the vegetables and fry until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are firm but cooked.
- Add cornflour to the pineapple juice and mix until smooth, add the tomato puree and soy sauce and again mix well.
- Add the sauce to the cooked chicken and vegetables for 2 minutes until thickened and warmed through.
- Once ready to eat stir in the pineapple chunks.
Serve with egg fried rice, boiled rice or noodles and prawn crackers.
OPTIONAL: Vegetarian option - omit the chicken and add a vegetarian equivalent such as Quorn or extra vegetables...