200g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
190g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
zest and juice of 2 lemons
3 egg whites
2 tsp cornflour
110g caster sugar
|Cupcakes ready to go in the oven|
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180C.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla essence until smooth.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt, mix until smooth.
- Add the milk and lemon zest and juice, mix again until smooth.
- Fill cupcake cases with the mixture and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff.
- Add half of the sugar and whisk until glossy.
- Fold in the rest of the sugar and corn flour.
- Dollop the meringue mix on top of the cooled cupcakes and place back in the oven at Gas Mark 1 or 100C for 30-45 minutes and the meringues are crisp and golden brown.