Wondering what to do with that glut of green tomatoes from the garden?
1kg green tomatoes
2 medium onions
400g dark brown soft sugar
1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp nutmeg
800ml malt vinegar
- Chop tomatoes & onions roughly.
- Add all the ingredients to a large pan & mix together.
- Bring pan to the boil on a medium heat then reduce the heat to continue simmering, stir occasionally.
- Simmer for about an hour to hour and a half (can sometimes take longer!) until the mixture is a thick pulp, when you draw the wooden spoon across the base of the pan there should be no vinegar fill that space.
- Preheat oven to 150C to sterilse the jars.
- Wash in clean soapy water the jars & their lids, then place on a baking tray & put them in the oven for 15 mins to dry.
- Fill the jars with the hot chutney, place a wax seal on top of the chutney & screw on the lid.
- Leave for about 4-6 weeks for the flavour to develop.
Great to give away as presents for Christmas or to enjoy for yourself with cheese and ham :)
NB The above recipe made & filled about 4 1lb jars of chutney.