1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp mixed herbs
500g beef mince
1 courgette, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 tin of tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 cup of beef stock made with 1 oxo cube
3 large potatoes, peeled & chopped
2 handfuls of grated cheese
splash of milk
knob of butter
- Preheat oven to 180C or Gas Mark 4.
- Boil the potatoes in a pan until soft.
- Heat the oil in another large pan and gently fry the beef mince, once beginning to brown add the onion, garlic, herbs and courgettes. Continue cooking until the onions are soft.
- Add the carrots, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, chilli flakes and beef stock and season with black pepper as necessary and stir well.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the carrots and nicely cooked through.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add the butter, milk and a handful of cheese to the pan and mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Season with black pepper.
- Place the beef sauce into the bottom of an oven proof dish and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the remainder of the grated cheese on top on the potatoes and heat in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden on top.
Serve with some fresh green vegetables.