1 large aubergine
150g lasagna sheets
4 cherry tomatoes, halved
Sprinkling of basil
For tomato sauce:
1 garlic clove
1 tsp basil (fresh is best but dried is ok too)
1 tin of tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tbsp tomato purée
For the cheese sauce:
1 heaped tbsp flour
Handful of grated cheese
Sprinkling of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 6.
- Top & tail the aubergine & slice into 0.5cm slices.
- Coat in olive oil & lie them on a baking tray.
- Bake for 25 mins turning in the middle.
- Whilst the aubergine is cooking, chop the onion, garlic, carrot & courgette finely.
- Put a little olive oil into a sauce pan & gently fry the onion, garlic, courgette & basil.
- Once soft add the tinned tomatoes, carrots, tomato purée, half a cup of boiled water & the stock cube. Stir well.
- Leave to simmer until the carrots are soft and the sauce has slightly reduced.
- In another saucepan on a low heat melt the butter.
- Once melted remove from heat & stir in the flour to form a paste.
- Return to heat & little by little add the milk stirring constantly until it is the required consistency. Add the cheese, pepper & nutmeg and extra milk if required to make it thinner. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Once the tomato sauce, cheese sauce & aubergine is cooked layer the lasagna sheets followed by the tomato sauce, cheese sauce, more lasagne, aubergine, tomato sauce, cheese sauce... & repeat layers until all the sauces & aubergine is used up.
- Top with grated cheese, the cherry tomatoes & a sprinkling of basil.
- Heat in the oven until the topping is nicely browned for about 30 mins.
Serve with garlic bread & green salad.