|The Pre-baked Lemon Meringue Pie|
175g digestive biscuits
25g Demerara sugar
190g caster sugar
2 lemons, zest and juice
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp cornflour, dissolved in a little milk
175ml boiling water
2 egg whites
pinch of salt
80g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2.
- Crush the biscuits finely (the easiest way of doing this is putting them in a plastic bag & use a rolling pin) and mix in the sugar.
- Melt the butter and add the biscuits.
- Press the biscuits into the bottom and up the sides of a pie dish.
- Place in the fridge to firm until it's required to add the filling.
- Place the sugar, lemon zest and juice in a pan.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and cornflour and add to the pan with the boiling water.
- Simmer over a low heat, stirring constantly until it has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, continue whisking and add the salt and caster sugar tablespoon by tablespoon.
- Place the filling on the biscuit base, top with meringue and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the meringue is a light golden brown.
Serve with cream or ice cream either warm or cold.