350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g light soft brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sieve dry ingredients together.
- With your clean fingertips rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Beat the egg and golden syrup together.
- Add to the mix and stir together to form a dough.
- Knead until smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to Gas 4 or 180C.
- Roll out the dough, using flour to prevent sticking.
- Use cutters to make gingerbread shapes (Ikea sell gingerbread house cutters to make a gingerbread house!).
- Place on greaseproof paper on a baking tin and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool on tray for 10 minutes.
- Decorate with icing and sweets.