I remember baking rock cakes with my dad when we were young in the old tiny kitchen we used to have. Unfortunately my rock cakes have gone quite flat, and don't remember my dad's doing that, so might have to play with this recipe until I get the desired rock cakes I remember from my childhood.
225g self raising flour
1 egg and a little milk, beaten together
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200C.
- Mix flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Rub in the margarine.
- Mix in the currants.
- Mix to a stiff dough with the egg and milk.
- Place in rough heaps on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.