250g puff pastry (shop bought or have a go at making your own HERE)
1 heaped tbsp raspberry, strawberry or cherry jam
125g caster sugar
100g ground almonds
25g plain flour
1 egg, beaten
half a dozen glace cherries or almond slices for decorating
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Roll the pastry into a round to line your baking tin or flan dish (15-20cm in diameter is perfect). You will want to line the bottom & sides.
- Place the pastry into the tin, pressing into & up the sides of the tin.
- Place a piece of greaseproof paper onto the pastry & place your baking beans/weights on top (also know as baking blind).
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan.
- Mix together the ground almonds, plain flour & caster sugar in a bowl.
- Add the butter & beaten egg & mix well.
- Once your pastry base is removed from the oven, remove the greaseproof paper & baking beans, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 160C.
- Add the filling & decorate the top with excess pastry, glace cherries & sliced almonds.
- Bake in the oven until firm & golden brown, approx 45 minutes to an hour.