With all the spices this is great for an alternative Christmas meat on Christmas day.
1.2kg gammon joint
Approx 30 whole cloves
500ml bottle of cider
100g soft dark brown sugar
100ml maple syrup
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground ginger
1 orange, quartered
- Pierce small holes on the surface of the joint with a skewer or sharp knife and insert the whole cloves into the holes. Try to spread them out evenly.
- Pour the cider over the joint in the slow cooker.
- Press the sugar into the surface of the gammon joint around the cloves.
- Gently pour the maple syrup over the meat, so as not to wash off too much sugar.
- Place the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger) into the cider.
- Squeeze the juice from the quartered orange over the meat and place the remnants of the orange skin into the cider as well.
- Slow cook for 4-5 hrs on high for the first hour then on low for the rest.erve with roast potatoes and vegetables for a lovely Sunday roast.
Serve with roast potatoes and vegetables for a lovely Sunday roast.