190g caster sugar
300g self raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
90g glace cherries
60g mixed peel
- Preheat oven to 170C or Gas Mark 3-4.
- Cream the sugar and butter together.
- Wash, dry and roll the cherries in the flour.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs with a tablespoonful of flour to the mix, whilst continually stirring together.
- Add the essence and the rest of the flour and mix well.
- Add the cherries and mixed peel and again mix well.
- Place into a greased cake tin (square, round or rectangular) and place in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for 75-90 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from tin and place on a wire cooling rack.
NB to ensure the cake is cooked through, stick a skewer into the middle of the cake and it should come out clean.