|Blackberry & Apple Tarts|
Do you enjoy foraging in the autumn for blackberries?
When I was a child we always had a family day out picking blackberries. It was always great fun, but it is not something I have been organised to do since I left home.
225g blackberries (frozen or fresh)
40g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp orange rind
250g ready made puff pastry
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
|Before heading into the oven|
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190C.
- Place the blackberries, caster sugar, lemon juice and orange rind into a pan and heat gently until the fruit is mushy. Allow to simmer until the mix is syrupy.
- Roll out the pastry to <5mm thick and using a pastry cutter, cut out 12 rounds.
- Place the pastry rounds into a greased bun baking tray.
- Spoon about 1.5 tsp of the blackberry mix into each pastry case.
- Place a piece of chopped apple on top of each tart and then sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
NB If you have some leftover pastry, blackberry syrup and apple chunks you can make a flat tart but just fold over the edges to make the crust thicker.