|Golden brown scones cooling|
I own a really ancient Be-Ro recipe book which belonged to my grandmother and this is a recipe from this book, which is still as good as more modern recipes for scones.
225g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
25g caster sugar
1 medium egg beaten with enough milk to make 150ml of liquid
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220C.
- Rub margarine into the flour and salt mixed together.
- Add the sugar and sultanas and mix well.
- Add egg mixture, but save a little for brushing the top of the scones.
- Knead the mix together.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to ~1cm thick and using a cutter, cut out rounds.
- Re-roll and cut out more rounds until you have used up the dough.
- Place on a baking tray and lightly brush with the leftover egg and milk mix.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with whipped or clotted cream, butter and jam as part of an afternoon tea!!