|Slow Cooked Chicken Surprise|
Ingredients:1 whole chicken
2 large fresh chillies
1 garlic clove
2 tbsps BBQ sauce
400ml chicken stock cube
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp paprika
Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Peppers
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp oil
- Halve the onions, place 1 half into the middle of the chicken and slice the other halves.
- Chop finely the garlic and chillies.
- Place the onion, garlic and half of the chillies into the bottom of the slow cooker, with any chopped optional vegetables.
- Smear the butter over the chicken and put the chicken on top of the vegetables and onions in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the rest of the chillies and half of the paprika over the chicken skin.
- Mix together the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, rest of the paprika, BBQ sauce and pour over the chicken.
- Leave in the slow cooker on high for the first hour and then on low for another 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and allow it to rest for 5 mins before carving and serving.
- To make a gravy with the left over juices, mix the cornflour and oil together to form a dough in the bottom of a small pan.
- Add some of the juices and whisk with the cornflour & oil mix whilst gently heating over a low heat, after a few mins it will start to thicken, so gradually add more of the juices slowly continuously stirring.
Serve with rice or potatoes and a selection of seasonal vegetables.
NB If there are any leftover gravy after the meal you can add it to couscous over a pan to make some beautifully flavoured couscous!