|Bacon & Mushroom Pasta Bake|
250g bacon, cut into strips
250g mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp oil
25g plain flour
60g cheese, grated (for sauce)
1 carrots, cut into cubes (cm slices quartered) & steam (Optional)
1 tin of sweetcorn (Optional)
1 tin of garden peas (Optional)
50g grated cheese (for topping)
- Preheat oven at Gas Mark 4
- Put the pasta onto boil as per pack instructions.
- Fry the bacon for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms and fry until cooked.
- Melt the butter in a pan on a low heat, once melted remove from heat and stir in the flour to make a thick dough.
- Put the pan back on the a medium heat now and slowly add most (not all) of the milk, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer gently and thicken whilst still stirring.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and stir in until melted into the sauce.
- Add the bacon & mushroom combination and any optional ingredients (peas, carrots, sweetcorn) to the cheese sauce.
- Put the pasta into an oven proof dish and then pour over the sauce.
- Top with grated cheese (or a mix of breadcrumbs and cheese).
- Heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the topping has crisped.
Serve with fresh salad or garlic bread.