Ready-made Puff Pastry (shop bought or have a go at making your own using the FOODY FRIDAY: Puff Pastry blog page recipe)
2 tbsp plain flour
sprinkling of nutmeg
large handful of grated cheese
|Add cheese, bacon & leeks to |
the white sauce
- Preheat oven to Gas 5 or 180C.
- Roll the puff pastry into the shape required and about 0.5cm thick.
- Place the bacon into a pan and fry for about 5 mins, then add the leeks to saute for another 5 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce: melt the butter gently in a pan and mix in the flour to make a paste. Add the milk, nutmeg and black pepper and turn the heat up to medium, constantly stirring.
- Eventually the white sauce will begin to thicken, when it has reached its required consistency mix the leeks and bacon with the grated cheese and white sauce in the pie dish (I used a large round Pyrex bowl as I did not have a pie dish.
- Place the pastry round on top of the dish and filling.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.